I didn’t “get” the whole glass craze when I started bartending. I knew certain drinks went into martini glasses, double rocks glasses, coupes, and other styles. I didn’t appreciate the cocktail elegance of glassware yet.
When I started doing mixology contests in 2012, I was like, “Ok, now I get it!” So I started embracing the progressive cocktail culture and the importance of glass nowadays.
About 5 years ago, I really remember seeing a
There is just something seeing a Manhattan, Martini, Negroni, or other cocktails severed up in this vessel. It truly adds another level of sophistication to a cocktail.
How Did The
Nick and Nora Glass Get Its Name?
The journey of
Nick was a stylish detective, and Nora was his wealthy wife. The first movie was such a hit that they released six films, all together, with William and Myrna playing the lead in all six movies.
Many cocktails were enjoyed during at least the first film ( I haven’t watched the other five). In addition, there was some awesome-looking glassware used.
In the late 1980s, legendary Dale DeGroff wanted a cocktail glass in the movie “The Thin Man” for the newly reopened Rainbow Lounge. So he went to Minners Designs, a glass and silver house on Manhattan’s East Side.
While flipping through their catalog items, he found what he wanted and referred to it as the
Even after Minners sold some of their designs and inventory, including the glass Dale used, “Little Martini” was referred to by everyone as
Nick and Nora vs.
Coupe vs. Martini Glass
For cocktails, these are three popular styles of stemware.
Many classic cocktails are served up between these three. Let’s see what the differences are!
Nick and Nora Glass
With cocktail recipes becoming more just than a good drink, you need something that displays your cocktail in the best way possible. The sleek glass design of a
Let’s see some of the pros and cons of this cocktail glass.
Nick and Nora Pros
- Keep cocktails colder and longer – With less service area for the drink to touch, your drink will stay colder and longer than drinks in a martini glass
- Narrow Mouth – A high-sided bowl and narrow mouth diameter help keep the center of the drink more over the steam, making you less likely to knock your drink over. Almost has a chalice-style feel to them.
- Stylish – many companies are creating beautiful designs and etch work on the glasses
- Dishwasher Safe – If your
Nick and Noraglasses don’t have etching, you can run them through your dishwasher.
Nick and Nora Cons
- Price – They are going to be higher in price than the standard versions of the other two
- Not Dishwasher Safe – Not all
Nick and NoraGlass is dishwasher safe. If there is etched glass work, the designs will fade off. Make sure you check with the manufacturer.
One of the more exciting designs in history is the
The story is that Marie Antoinette wanted a glass design molded after her left breast.
- Small, compact design doesn’t take up a lot of space
- Many different sizes to accommodate other volumes of drinks
- Most are going to be dishwasher safe
- Don’t get knocked over easily as martini glasses
- Smaller to hold
- There is a stigma with some men that cocktails served in this glass are femantiate and they feel like their manhood is being compromised.
The martini glass started as a variation of the champagne flute in the late 19th century. Then, in the 1920s, the angular design started surfacing and becoming an iconic symbol with cocktails.
- Steep sides help prevent ingredients from separating
- Can easily hold the glass
- Looks classy with a skewer and olive in it
- Tend to be knocked over more accessible because of the wider bowl
- A bar set takes up a lot more space because of the wide design
Nick and Nora Glasses
I haven’t met a
Here are a couple of our favorites we use all the time and mainly use when we create any cocktail served up.
The Hive Glass
The Hive Glass from Amehla Co. is a honeycomb
It offers a thinner thickness to easily accommodate any garnish you want to use.
This glass really elevates any cocktail you put in it.
Zelda Fitzgerald “New Yorker”
This set of
These are very stylish and make any cocktail served up look beautiful.
What is your favorite
Loves metal/hardcore metal. Enjoys the finer things in life….